As part of the R&D team, you will be responsible for building and supporting the design work for our mechanical solutions. This role is very hands on and you will be involved in development from concept to final delivery.
The engineer will require fabrication and assembly skills. You will be responsible for sourcing materials, managing BOMs and documenting the build process. At the beginning of the design cycle you are likely to be building cardboard/wooden concept models to inform ergonomics, styling and technology choices. The nature of the job requires good teamwork and organizational skills.
We are looking for an engineer with either previous industrial experience or has an engineering educational background that can demonstrate strong hands on skills.
- Building and supporting development of prototype consoles and sub-assemblies.
- Generating BOMs and build instructions.
- Selecting, managing and sourcing materials.
- Coordinating between SSLs teams and subcontractors.
- Providing engineering support to all parts of the business.
- Responsible for controlling engineering changes.
- A focus on product improvements, design for manufacture and service.
- Actively seeking new materials and manufacturing techniques.
Knowledge and Skills
- Engineering/Production background or educated mixed with strong practical skills.
- Mechanical and metal work fabrication skills.
- Ability to read engineering drawings and build complicate assemblies.
- Soldering and looming skills.
- Computer literate with familiarity of Microsoft Office and CAD packages.
- Basic electronic knowledge, with the ability to recognize component types and an appreciation of circuitry functionality would be advantageous
- Strong organizational and team work skills.
- Ability to prioritize and multi task in a logical manner.
- Proactive attitude, highly focused, self-motivated with the capability to work in a team or as an individual with minimum supervision
- Analytical, with good attention to detail and excellent communication skills.
- High level of technical competence coupled with strong problem solving skills.
- The strength not to be happy with the status quo, outward looking and wanting to take the next opportunity.
- Willingness to go the extra mile to meet tight timescales and project deadlines.
Please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your covering letter should highlight the extent to which your skills/experience meets the requirements of the role and your motivation behind applying.
To apply for this position, you must already have the right to work in the UK.